Yellowfin provides you with the capacity to export all your dashboard and report definitions including the related entities such as views and source systems from one instance of Yellowfin (for example a test environment) and import these into a separate instance (e.g. Production).
Note: When exporting definitions from Yellowfin there are certain limitations. You cannot export security settings for categories, source systems or views. These will have to be reset when importing them into the new instance of Yellowfin Source filter information will be exported but only if it is a scheduled SQL query. Manual records and data file records will not be exported.
If you are using the import and export functions to migrate Yellowfin across platforms then you will have to be cognisant of hard coded platform SQL. Examples of this may occur if you have:
- created virtual tables within your view definition or
- you have written freehand SQL queries
- you have BIRT or Jasper reports with platform specific SQL
Yellowfin cannot test for these SQL anomalies and you should test your import and export processes across platforms in your test environment prior to migrating into production.
- To export definitions from Yellowfin navigate to your administration panel and select export.
- Select the elements you wish to export.
- From the drop down menu choose the item type (source system, categories, views etc). Based on your selection you will be presented with a list of items to choose from.
- Select those items you wish to export and click the add button to add selected items to the list. Click next to continue.
- If you have chosen to export items which have dependencies (for example a dashboard tab) Yellowfin will present you with a list of all the dependent items which you may wish to export as well.
Select those items you wish to include in the export process and click add to add them to the list.
- When ready to export click the export link
- You will be prompted to save the file to your local drive. Save the file onto your local file server – for later use.
- To import definitions into Yellowfin navigate to your administration panel and select import.
- Select the exported XML file from your file server by clicking the browse button and using the file upload form to select the appropriate file. Click next to continue.
- Yellowfin will now display each element in the import file on the right hand side of your screen and provide you import options in the central form on your screen.
You can choose to import or skip any item in the import file. If you skip dependent items such as a data source for a report then Yellowfin will prompt you to select the appropriate substitutes for those specific items.
Choose your import options for each item and click next to navigate through all the items in the file till you get to the summary page.
- On the summary page – if all items have been processed correctly you can click import to import these.
If an error has been detected with a report Yellowfin will display an error message. You can however continue to import the file regardless of the error and then manually update the file from within Yellowfin.