1. Click on the Create link and select Report to begin building your report.
2. You should now be on the Initialisation page. Select the Drag and Drop Builder as the builder type.
3. Select Ski Team as the View. This will now take you to the Data step of the builder.
You will now need to add the metric field to be monitored by the KPI to the report.
4. Drag the Demographic and Invoiced Amount fields into the Columns list.
You will also need to provide a filter. This will ensure the data is restricted for each refresh.
5. Drag the Invoiced Date field into the Filters list.
I this example we are going to set the refresh schedule to run on the first of each month. This means that we want the snapshot to capture a month's worth of data. In order to set this up we will add a filter to restrict the results to last month's data.
6. Click on the Settings link in order to set up the filter.
7. Click on the Define Value option and make use of the Pre-Defined Period option, selecting Last Month.
8. Click the Submit button.
You will now need to navigate to the Output step of the builder to configure the KPI options.
9. Click the Output option in the main navigation bar.
10. Click on the KPI menu from the main navigation bar on the Output step of the builder.
KPI reports require several components to be defined that are not required by standard reports. The metric to be monitored must be configured first.
11. To begin, enable the KPI Functionality option. This will show all the components required for the KPI.
12. Set the KPI Type to Categorical.
13. Set the Keyed On to Demographic.
14. Set the KPI Metric to Sum Invoiced Amount.
15. Set the Desired Trend to Up.
16. Set the Target Type to Manual and the Target to 15000000.
The next component required for KPI reports is the Conditional Formatting Alerts displayed to the left of the kpi on the Dashboard. This icon or colour displays an alert for the current status of the value.
17. Click on the Setup section to open the settings available.
In this example we will be defining alerts using the icons. You can also use the Cell or Text options if you just wish to display a block of colour rather than an image.
18. Set the Style to Icon and select the Ticks option as the Icon Set.
19. Define the Type as Value. This will mean that the value in the cell is compared to the alert values to check the rule, rather than another field or function.
20. Click on the Alerts section to open the alert rules list. This is where you will define the conditions.
21. Create three alerts:
- Red Less than 12000000
- Orange Between 12000000 and 15000000
- Green Greater than 15000000
KPI Refresh Schedule
22. Click the Refresh section to open the scheduling area. In standard reports the refresh schedule is defined in the Save menu, but KPI reports use the KPI menu instead.
23. Set the Refresh Settings to be updated Periodically.
24. Set the Schedule to be the First day of each Month.
25. Close the KPI menu by clicking on the x in the top right corner of the menu.
26. Click on the Report > Save option through the main navigation bar of the Output step.
27. Set the Name to KPI Categorical Report Tutorial.
28. Type This report was created as part of the KPI Report tutorial into the Description box.
29. Set the Category to Tutorial and the Sub Category to Training.
30. Click Activate.
Your KPI report is now complete and ready to be added to a KPI Dashboard Tab.
See KPI Tabs for more information.