Dashboard tabs can be shared between users by setting them to public. Security can be applied to Public tabs. If you choose to create a private tab you will not be able to set security as you will be the only user with access to the report. However, if you choose to create a Public Tab you will have the option to add additional security.
Note: if you create a personal tab no other users will be able to share your personal tab.
Creating a public tab
To create a tab for sharing with other users you will need to create a public tab. Create the tab as described above and then on the main menu select public from the security drop down.
Note: Whilst the Public tab is in draft no other users will be able to add it to their dashboard. When you have finalised the dashboard activate it by clicking on the activate link.
Public Tab Security
Security on the tab is used to set who has access to the tab system. You have two options:
this allows all users to access the tab
securing the tab you will control who can view or edit the tab record
- To secure the tab select the secure radio button as shown in the example above.
- This will display the security management elements on the screen. You will need to select either a person or a group that you want to secure the tab for.
- One the person or group is selected choose the appropriate access level. Note: at least one user must have DELETE access – else the tab will be locked to all users for update purposes.
Allows selected users to add this tab to their dashboard but not edit it.
Edit and Update
Allows selected users to edit and change the dashboard
Allows selected users to delete the dashboard from the corporate repository
- Once you have select the user and access click the add button to add them to the access list. You can add as many users or groups as users to the list as appropriate.
Distributing a Public Tab
Yellowfin supports dashboard collaboration by permitting public authors to distribute pre-built tabs to individual or groups of users. Similar to the distribution of reports all recipients must have appropriate access levels to receive reports.
Why distribute a tab? By distributing a dashboard tab you can create a single tab for an entire department and then distribute it to all users within that department.
- To distribute a tab click the distribute tab link in the tab menu drop down. (You will only see this link if you are authorised to manage the corporate tab selected)
- You now select users and/or groups as recipients, and provide message text if required.
- Click Ok to complete.
Note: Tabs and associated reports will only be distributed to users that have the appropriate level of access for the report.
Remove a Public Dashboard Tab
The remove option is different from the delete corporate tab option. The delete only deletes the tab from your dashboard but does not affect other users. Whilst the remove deletes tab from all users and makes it unavailable for future use.
- To remove a corporate tab for all dashboards that it appears on select remove from the tab drop down menu.
- You will be prompted on a confirm page if you wish to permanently remove the tab. If you do not wish to do so click 'Cancel' otherwise click OK to continue.
Auto Refresh Reports
There may be instances where a corporate tab is used to track rapidly changing data – such as call centre information, or system tracking.
Generally with dashboard reports once a tab is opened the reports displayed are static – they do not automatically update. However, with Yellowfin you can set up refresh cycles for various reports so that as long as the dashboard tab is open the reports will continue to be updated.
- To create a refresh cycle for a dashboard report you will need to define before saving a report. Click on the Display menu in the report builder.
- Click YES for the refresh dashboard option and define the number of seconds you wish to elapse prior to a report being refreshed.
- Activate your report.
When this report is added to your dashboard it will automatically refresh based on the seconds you have indicated.
Note: You will need to have the Refresh Dashboard Reports role permission in order to access this option.