Time Series charts a series of data points, presented against an x axis that displays time in uniform intervals. Opposed to categorical charts, time series effectively shows gaps in the data through the use of these uniform time intervals.
Enabling this option when using a date or timestamp as a Label in a chart also provides additional functionality:
- Yearly Comparison
- Visible Unit Selection
- Date Slider
These functions are discussed below.
If you have a line chart which is time series spanning more than one year range, you can use this option to split the single line into 12 month groups for easy comparison. When using this option the units are set to month and cannot be changed.
- Enable Yearly Comparison through the chart Settings menu
- Your line chart will now appear with a seperate line for each available year
Allows you to select the time granularity of the chart independant of the table.
- Select the desired Units (granularity) in the chart Settings menu
Visible Unit Selection
Allows the user select the time granularity of the chart independant of the table.
- Enable the Visible Unit Selection option through the chart Settings menu
- Your chart will now have a list of available units for the user to select from
Allows the user to zoom in and out of time banded data
- Enable the Date Slider option through the chart Settings menu
- Your chart will now have a slider the user can manipulate to view subsets of the data