Parameters are a unique type of input field within Yellowfin. They can be used to pass values from a user prompt into a calculated field or to have a single entry field for multiple filters.
One of the most interesting ways that parameters can be used is in the creation of 'what if' reports. This works by creating calculated fields which use parameters in their calculations. For example if you had a Product Cost field you could create a 'what if' calculation that was "Parameter" x Product Cost where the parameter was the expected units to be sold.
A parameter field has to be created when a view is created. Generic parameters can be created so that they can be used for user defined calculated fields or filters.
- To add a parameter into a calculated field drag it into your filter section
- Create a calculated field that uses the parameter
You will now be able to define how the parameter is to be used by formatting it on the filters page.
Parameters have different format options from standard filters. The process of changing the format options is however the same. Depending on the type of parameter field you will have different options.
Like filters you can change the display name - this is useful to provide a more relevant user prompt text for the user. In the Entry Style menu there are three formatting options unique to parameters; Field, Dial, and Slider.
- When you select Field as the entry style you will be able to set the default value for the parameter in the text box on the menu.
- This will be how your parameter is displayed on the report preview page, when formatted as a Field.
- When you select the Dial entry style option you will be able to set the colour, minimum, maximum, and default values of the dial.
- This will be how your parameter is displayed on the report preview page, when formatted as a Dial.
- When you select the Slider entry style option, you will be able to set the colour, minimum, maximum, and default values of the slider.
- This will be how your parameter is displayed on the report preview page, when formatted as a Slider.
For numeric parameters you will be able to set:
- The default value - the value that will initially be used when the report is run
- Display Type - you can choose between text field input or dial and slider. If choosing dial and slider you can choose the image colour to be used (grey, black or blue) and set the minimum and maximum values for these input processes.
For text parameters you will be able to set the default value - this is the value that will initially be used when the report is run
For date parameters you will be able to set the default value - this is the value that will initially be used when the report is run
Linking Filters to Parameters
If you wish to use a parameter as the input for a filter value (you may want to have a single input field for one or more filters that require the same value) then you can do this by setting the filter operand to "equal to column" and select the required parameter column.
Using Parameters in a report
Once your parameters have been defined you can run your report. Unlike standard filters you will have default values defined for parameters so the report will automatically run if you do not have any additional user prompt filters defined.
You will be able to adjust the parameter values using either text box, dial or slider and click the go button to re-run you report to see new values.