With Yellowfin you can add specific comments to your reports in the form of annotations. There are three types of annotations to assist users of a report:
- Report Level Annotations
- View Level Annotations
- Organisation Level Annotations
Annotations assist your reports readers to understand the reports and data that they are viewing. They can only be added when a report is ACTIVE and the annotate drop down menu is visible.
The figure above shows the three places annotations are displayed.
- Annotation Flag highlighting the date, or start of date range, on the time series x axis, with a descriptive roll over that is editable from the report page.
- Highlighting on a time series chart when the annotation has been applied to a date range rather than a single date.
- A descriptive roll over on the table displayed on the date, or start of the date range, that is editable from the report page.
As mentioned previously, there are three levels of annotations within Yellowfin.
- Report Level: These annotations are only attached to a single report. Any date that falls on the specified date or within the range will be annotated.
- View Level: Any annotation applied to the view level will be displayed on all reports written off this view, and any date within these reports.
This is where tags can become more important. For example, if you add an annotation about an invoicing system you should apply a tag, such as ‘Invoicing’. This will allow you to hide the annotation when you are viewing a report about date of births, where invoicing is irrelevant.
- Organisation Level: Anyone who belongs to the same organisation as the annotation creator will be able to see these annotations on any reports with date data. Again, tagging is important here, as you are dealing with a wide range of reports, in some cases all reports.
There are two things you must do in order to use annotations in Yellowfin.
- You must get the administrator to enable annotation permissions for your user role. There are Create, Read, Update, and Delete options available.
- Enable the annotation display options on the report you are writing. To do this you will need to go to the Display Menu on the report preview page (when your report is in draft mode) and enable one or both of the options:
Annotation Display Options
There are options available in the Annotation Menu that allow you to restrict the annotations you see on the report you are viewing.
From here you can select which level of annotations you currently wish to view on the report, by ticking the appropriate check boxes.
You can also choose to only display annotations that have a particular tag, by changing the selections in the Tags list.
- To add an annotation to a report make sure your report is active and you’ve completed the Enabling Annotations steps above.
- In the collaborate section of the report menu, open the Annotate Menu. Click the ‘Add Annotation’ button.
- A pop up Annotation Editor window will open that will provide you with several options for you annotation:
- Date Type: Here you can choose to either apply your annotation to a single date or a date range.
- Date/Start & End Date: Specify your date/range here. If you have a range you will need to specify a colour used for chart highlighting. The default is the red that appears in the screenshots.
- Annotation Range Display Colour: If you have chosen to use a date range in your annotation you will be provided with a colour option, used when the annotation displays highlighting on a chart.
- Title: Enter the title / subject of your annotation.
- Tag: Specify a tag to categorise your annotation. This can be left blank, but it’s suggested that tags are used where possible.
- Level: Here you should select Organisation, View, or Report Level. See the previous section for definitions.
- Annotation Body: Here is where you can enter the description of your annotation, and format as desired.
- Visibility: Shared will allow all users that match the selected Annotation Level permissions to see your annotation. Private means that only you will be able to view the annotation.
- Cancel/Save: Click to Save or Cancel to return to the report page.